Planned Witty Gaming (PWG 21 Nov 2014)
Kendrick Kerwin Chua
2014-11-21 11:42:48 UTC
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)

Freedom Wars (Vita) - Still marvelous. It's stealing a trick from Gods
Eater now, in that you have to do what you've been doing for the missions
in a smaller and smaller amount of time. You did the one impossible thing
in 45 minutes? Now do it six times in the same interval. As fun as it is,
it's still the colour and texture of the setting (and the NPCs who live in
it) that really grabs me.

Fantasy Life (3DS) - Bought it, better play it. I fear that I don't really
have the brain power in reserve to be doing two time sink games at the
same time.

Vampire Night (PS2) - Been after this for a while. It's essentially House
of the Dead, but set an 18th century where everyone in eastern Europe
speaks American English with a vaguely Japanese accent. I'll have more to
say about the bizarre nature of a Sega/Namco team up and the pain of light
gun configuration in the PWB.

Job Hunting (RL) - My boss is 99 percent sure that my employment contract
will be renewed. It's that one percent outside of his control that makes
me wonder. So the hunt is pre-emptive, in case the winter stores go dry
ahead of schedule.

-KKC, who also has some gardening to do in spite of the weather.
--
-- kendrick | "This celebrity's shocking weight loss secret ended up
@ io-nyc | with a wardrobe malfunction and a new clever way to
.com | pay off her mortgage! But then this happens..."
MerseyMal
2014-11-21 12:03:53 UTC
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
My brother and his family leave tomorrow at 4am so this weekend should
have plenty of time for gaming

World Of Warcraft (PC) - still haven't even touched the surface of the
new expansion beyond getting a few followers to send on missions and
starting to add profession-related buildings to my characters'
garrisons.

Far Cry 4 (PC) - bit the bullet and thanks to a 20% off voucher from
Greenman Gaming I got the Gold Edition for £50 (will also get some
cashback later from quidco). I fully intend to make a start on this.

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC) - also bought this from Greenman Gaming
using the same voucher. Might start this too but have installed on my
gaming laptop as a potential game for quiet days at the mother-in-law's
during our 4 week stay there.

May be some Torchlight 2 (PC) or Diablo 3 (PC) with the wife too.
--
XBLA/PSN/Steam/Raptr/Twitter: merseymal
Guild Wars 2: MerseyMal.3921
Battle.net ID: merseymal#1677
Nils Tanner
2014-11-21 15:01:38 UTC
Why is a mushroom called mushroom? As usual, MerseyMal
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
Hyrule Warriors. 2-player, together with the wife. It's more or less
the same again and again and again, but it's fun. So yay.

Fifa 15, Knack, Fable Anniversary, Skylanders, Mario Kart 8.... a
selection of those as well, probably. We'll see.
Tony
2014-11-21 16:16:07 UTC
Post by MerseyMal
Far Cry 4 (PC) - bit the bullet and thanks to a 20% off voucher from
Greenman Gaming I got the Gold Edition for £50 (will also get some
cashback later from quidco). I fully intend to make a start on this.
I only recently finished #3 (took a long break while I was playing
EverQuest again), and really enjoyed it. Will definately pick up #4 but
probably 2nd hand.
--
Tony Evans [PSN: perception101] [XBL/Steam: EightBitTony]
Seeking archives for uk.* from 1998 and older. Especially interested
hierarchy management.
Monkey_with_a_chainsaw
2014-11-21 12:40:58 UTC
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
Far Cry 3 (PC/Uplay)
Yes, 3. I bought it for £3.75 on Steam last weekend. I've just met
Citra.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (X360)
Bought it for £15 to round out the trilogy. Haven't put it in the
console yet despite owning it for a fortnight.

Borderlands Pre-Sequel (X360)
Level 19 or 20 Wilhelm. Just gave Jack a robot army. What could go
wrong?
--
Jon
NNID & GT: ThisIsACoolTag
GusTavToo
2014-11-21 19:49:05 UTC
Post by Monkey_with_a_chainsaw
Far Cry 3 (PC/Uplay)
Yes, 3. I bought it for £3.75 on Steam last weekend. I've just met
Citra.
I've just started 3 on the 360. I'm quite enjoying it. There's something
therapeutic about hunting with a bow.

Gus.
GT: GusTavToo / PSN: GusWho - Sent from a micro iPad
Zomoniac
2014-11-21 12:46:45 UTC
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
I will have most of Saturday free and alone, which hasn't happened in
almost a year, so I shall be taking advantage.

GTA V (PS4)
More first person shenanigans. It's great. It goes all Mirror's Edge-y
during any on foot chasing.

The Last Of Us Remastered (PS4)
Really need to get back to it. For shame.

Halo 2A (XO)
More campaign progress.

Sonic Rush (DS)
Finished When Vikings Attack! this morning so time to start the next
handheld game.

Will fire up Destiny too to see what happens with this weekend trader
thingy.
Zo
Kendrick Kerwin Chua
2014-11-21 12:52:57 UTC
Post by Zomoniac
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
I will have most of Saturday free and alone, which hasn't happened in
almost a year, so I shall be taking advantage.
Do you remember when you would do anything in the world not to be by
yourself on a weekend or a Friday night? These days I hunger after
solitude. Because I've outgrown my house in Whiterun. *rim-SHOT*
Post by Zomoniac
GTA V (PS4)
More first person shenanigans. It's great. It goes all Mirror's Edge-y
during any on foot chasing.
I assume that the FPS view is an option and not a requirement for the
newer ports of the game? Are there any visual clues in first-person view
that clue you in to which character you're playing, in case you might have
forgotten? I'm not sure why I think that would be a problem, except to say
that I'm easily distracted and confused myself these days.

-KKC, anxiously waiting for workplace news.
Zomoniac
2014-11-21 14:10:54 UTC
Post by Zomoniac
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
I will have most of Saturday free and alone, which hasn't happened in
almost a year, so I shall be taking advantage.
Do you remember when you would do anything in the world not to be by
yourself on a weekend or a Friday night? These days I hunger after
solitude. Because I've outgrown my house in Whiterun. *rim-SHOT*
Very much so. I completed as many games in the first two months of the
year when I was single and living alone than since March when I got with
my girlfriend. Now gaming evenings are very rare.

Though since she started her new job last week I've been gaming a bit
more as she leaves for work 1.5 hours earlier than me so I try get up at
the same time and get some gaming in. Hardly ideal for trying to arrange
multiplayer sessions though :)
Post by Zomoniac
GTA V (PS4)
More first person shenanigans. It's great. It goes all Mirror's Edge-y
during any on foot chasing.
I assume that the FPS view is an option and not a requirement for the
newer ports of the game? Are there any visual clues in first-person view
that clue you in to which character you're playing, in case you might have
forgotten? I'm not sure why I think that would be a problem, except to say
that I'm easily distracted and confused myself these days.
It's optional, just press the trackpad in on PS4 to toggle. Not really,
but you'd almost certainly always know. There are things like the
character specific markers on the minimap are different colours and the
active character's show solid with the others having a transparancy.
Plus they're usually wisecracking something or other at people as they
go past and they all have very distinct voices. And if you use a gun or
fight or bring up your phone then it shows the character's hand on
screen, and Franklin is black so that's a bit of a giveaway.
Zo
Toby Newman
2014-11-21 18:28:21 UTC
Post by Zomoniac
I will have most of Saturday free and alone, which hasn't happened in
almost a year, so I shall be taking advantage.
GTA V (PS4)
More first person shenanigans. It's great. It goes all Mirror's Edge-y
during any on foot chasing.
I'm really keen to try this. Which do you think is the preferred way
to play? 1st or 3rd?
Post by Zomoniac
The Last Of Us Remastered (PS4)
Really need to get back to it. For shame.
You and me both - at least you've finished it before!
--
-Toby
Russell Marks
2014-11-21 21:40:26 UTC
[...]
Post by Toby Newman
Post by Zomoniac
GTA V (PS4)
More first person shenanigans. It's great. It goes all Mirror's Edge-y
during any on foot chasing.
I'm really keen to try this. Which do you think is the preferred way
to play? 1st or 3rd?
Gimmicks aside, it's still GTA. So it'll be 1st for planes (which are
almost unusable otherwise) and 3rd for everything else. Admittedly you
could try 1st for cars, but on PS3 at least it was like driving a
waterbed with space-hopper wheels around a bouncy castle.

-Rus.
hurricanepilot
2014-11-21 13:44:12 UTC
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
Indeed. I may do a bit myself as I'm kind of at a loose end now with
gaming.

They've sort of all but confirmed that there will be a full stat and
progress wipe on decemeber the 16th for those of us who aren't insensed
enough to ask for a refund (Elite Dangerous). To which end, I'm not
going to get as involved in the game as I had planned to, so I've got
about three weeks of clear air and no real idea as to what to fill it
with.

I've been watching a lot of, and will continute to watch:

ARCHER (netflix) - This regularly makes me laugh out loud. If you've
got netflix and have 20 minutes spare, I recommend giving it a go.

I will be thinking about playing:

The Evil Within, Far Cry 4, Lords of the Fallen or maybe something else
from the big steam pile of shame. I find myself strangely drawn to Lords
of the Fallen.

MK8 (Wii U) - I'm sure we'll get some of this done as the kids seem to
like it.

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) - meh meh meh...I'm sure it's excellent, and while
I'm bashing fools with my hairy legs I'm enjoying that bit of it, I'm
just not feeling it. I'm nearly done with it, however, so I'll persevere.
Russell Marks
2014-11-21 15:16:10 UTC
Post by hurricanepilot
ARCHER (netflix) - This regularly makes me laugh out loud. If you've
got netflix and have 20 minutes spare, I recommend giving it a go.
I'll second that. Easily one of the best things on there.

-Rus.
Toby Newman
2014-11-22 13:11:21 UTC
Post by Russell Marks
Post by hurricanepilot
ARCHER (netflix) - This regularly makes me laugh out loud. If you've
got netflix and have 20 minutes spare, I recommend giving it a go.
I'll second that. Easily one of the best things on there.
I haven't seen Archer but I hear it's good. It's made by some of the
same people as Sealab 2021, which I love and bought the box set for.
--
-Toby
Zomoniac
2014-11-21 14:50:41 UTC
New plan, Sunset Overdrive is free to download and play for 24 hours
from 5am tomorrow, so I may end up playing that.
Zo
Chris Stevens
2014-11-21 15:02:07 UTC
Post by Zomoniac
New plan, Sunset Overdrive is free to download and play for 24 hours
from 5am tomorrow, so I may end up playing that.
Do do that. It's brilliant. So much fun.
--
Chris

GT: SomethingWitty
Chris Stevens
2014-11-21 14:52:05 UTC
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
Or do you? ;)

I have a few other things on the go, see. Namely:

Halo: MCC (XB1)
Progress through the campaigns continues. I've now finished CE and 2,
and made a start on 3. Three things struck me, on starting up 3 again.
In order: Firstly, I couldn't believe how much of a step back it looked
from the two Anniversary remakes, which should probably be no surprise,
but I do remember thinking that H3 was a decent to good looking game at
the time. Secondly, just how much easier/more forgiving 3 is. Normal
difficulty gave me plenty of resistance on CE and 2, but in 3 it feels
like a 'walk forward to win' mode. Odd. Finally, just how well I
remember every last detail of Sierra 117. More so than any level in the
previous two games. More than Pillar of Autumn, more than Assault on the
Control Room, more than The Library, more than Gravemind. Weird. It's
not even a particularly memorable level in terms of spectacle and set
pieces, but as I played it, I knew relaibly what was round every corner
and how many Brutes to expect in each building, etc. Very strange.
Especially as the next level triggered no such recall.

GTA V (XB1)
Lovely cheap copy from lovely Jaimie arrived last night, and I installed
it and had a quick go. Lovely. It seems much more suited to the newer
hardware, for sure. Framerate much more solid, and it's a lot nicer to
look at. FPS mode breaks my brain for some reason, so I'll be playing
the traditional way.

FIFA 15 (XB1)
My daily checkin, at least, to refresh my auctions. Decided to go full
on wheeler-dealer, so am buying lots of bronze packs, and auctioning the
consumables. It's slow progress, but there's a steady stream of profit
coming from it. I have an All Rare Gold team from La Liga now, which I
will slowly upgrade further as I get to afford the superstars.

Hearthstone (iOS)
Three arena runs lined up. Not long before the next expansion, and a ton
of new cards to learn!

...but yes, apart from those, I'll be playing:

Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
All multiplayer, all of the time. Bagsy the gamepad.
--
Chris

GT: SomethingWitty
deKay
2014-11-21 15:44:29 UTC
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
Wanking?

I won't have much time this weekend for anything. Too busy preparing the
house for a very poorly wife (chemo starts next week) amongst other
things.

If I do have time, it'll by Hyrule Warriors. I am *trying* to play Mario
Kart 8, but Hyrule Warriors always seems to come on instead.

Might try to finish up Mega Man 5 too. I'm on the Wily levels so only the
SuckySuck(TM) bit to do, really.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2014-11-21 16:00:31 UTC
On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 05:42:48 -0600, Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Post by Kendrick Kerwin Chua
Well, we already know what Chris has planned this weekend. :)
Lovely!

Maybe some Destiny (L16 now, getting there slowly!). Definitely more
Mario Kart and some Fantasy Life. Need to get back to some Sunset
Overdrive.

Also got painting and bedroom rebuilding to do, so we'll see.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Now I lay me down to sleep
Try to count electric sheep
How I hate the night. - Marvin the paranoid android
Tony
2014-11-21 16:15:11 UTC
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360) - think I'm almost done on the first play
though. Sorely tempted to replay #1 and possibly #2 though, because I
still feel like #3 is lacking soul. However, lots of real life this
weekend as well so I may end up getting very little gaming in.

Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC) - My wife will be playing this during any
moment we're in the house and not busy. She pre-ordered from GAME (saw it
was £39.99 for the physical copy), only to find out when she went to
collect they really meant £49.99, which is the same as the Origin online
price. So she got a full refund, bought it online from Origin, and played
it a bit today (we're both just glad it runs on her PC without issues,
although it taxes the graphic's card fan something chronic). I'll probably
wait and pick it up second hand for the 360 later on, but she's a huge
fangirl of the DA/ME game, so she had to have it right away and already
thinks it's epic.
hierarchy management.
MerseyMal
2014-11-21 16:55:42 UTC
In article <m4noef$r32$***@matrix.darkstorm.co.uk>, ***@darkstorm.invalid
says...
Post by Tony
Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC) - My wife will be playing this during any
moment we're in the house and not busy. She pre-ordered from GAME (saw it
was £39.99 for the physical copy), only to find out when she went to
collect they really meant £49.99, which is the same as the Origin online
price. So she got a full refund, bought it online from Origin, and played
it a bit today
If you'd gone to greenmangaming.com you could have bought it for £40
using the voucher code on the front page.
Tony
2014-11-21 17:58:40 UTC
Post by MerseyMal
says...
Post by Tony
Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC) - My wife will be playing this during any
moment we're in the house and not busy. She pre-ordered from GAME (saw it
was £39.99 for the physical copy), only to find out when she went to
collect they really meant £49.99, which is the same as the Origin online
price. So she got a full refund, bought it online from Origin, and played
it a bit today
If you'd gone to greenmangaming.com you could have bought it for £40
using the voucher code on the front page.
Yep. This is true for much of life.
hierarchy management.
hurricanepilot
2014-11-24 09:18:14 UTC
Post by MerseyMal
says...
Post by Tony
Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC) - My wife will be playing this during any
moment we're in the house and not busy. She pre-ordered from GAME (saw it
was £39.99 for the physical copy), only to find out when she went to
collect they really meant £49.99, which is the same as the Origin online
price. So she got a full refund, bought it online from Origin, and played
it a bit today
If you'd gone to greenmangaming.com you could have bought it for £40
using the voucher code on the front page.
greenmangaming.com's prices have gone through the roof over the last
year, it seems. Was a time when GMG and a code would net you a pc game
for ~£20. Nowadays, it's more like double that, even though everyone
else is selling them for £25.

Case in point - I bought far cry 4 from simply for £27.99 at the
weekend. GMG wanted £50, or £40 with their voucher.
HarpingOn
2014-11-24 09:35:24 UTC
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by MerseyMal
says...
Post by Tony
Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC) - My wife will be playing this during any
moment we're in the house and not busy. She pre-ordered from GAME (saw it
was £39.99 for the physical copy), only to find out when she went to
collect they really meant £49.99, which is the same as the Origin online
price. So she got a full refund, bought it online from Origin, and played
it a bit today
If you'd gone to greenmangaming.com you could have bought it for £40
using the voucher code on the front page.
greenmangaming.com's prices have gone through the roof over the last
year, it seems. Was a time when GMG and a code would net you a pc game
for ~£20. Nowadays, it's more like double that, even though everyone
else is selling them for £25.
Case in point - I bought far cry 4 from simply for £27.99 at the
weekend. GMG wanted £50, or £40 with their voucher.
I got DA:I for PC for £27 I think it was. From cdkeys

It's going to cost me £200 though, because my PC isn't up to running it.
Blasted thing. I thought I had done sufficient research before getting
DA:I, and it does 'run', but it's horrible. Mid teens fps. Bleargh

Looks like an R9 280 or R9 280x will have to be bought. Gnnngh
hurricanepilot
What are you currently running?
HarpingOn
Dual Graphics A10-7850K + R7-240
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2014-11-24 10:35:16 UTC
Post by HarpingOn
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
I got DA:I for PC for £27 I think it was. From cdkeys
It's going to cost me £200 though, because my PC isn't up to running it.
Blasted thing. I thought I had done sufficient research before getting
DA:I, and it does 'run', but it's horrible. Mid teens fps. Bleargh
Looks like an R9 280 or R9 280x will have to be bought. Gnnngh
What are you currently running?
Dual Graphics A10-7850K + R7-240
Alternately you could wait for the .1 patch that'll probably address all
that.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I like my coffee how I like my women...
but I can't get coffee that's independent, intelligent and has a
career of its own. - Eric Jarvis, urs
HarpingOn
2014-11-24 11:27:03 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by HarpingOn
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
I got DA:I for PC for £27 I think it was. From cdkeys
It's going to cost me £200 though, because my PC isn't up to running it.
Blasted thing. I thought I had done sufficient research before getting
DA:I, and it does 'run', but it's horrible. Mid teens fps. Bleargh
Looks like an R9 280 or R9 280x will have to be bought. Gnnngh
What are you currently running?
Dual Graphics A10-7850K + R7-240
Alternately you could wait for the .1 patch that'll probably address all
that.
Hm. Maybe. I'm certainly not going to 'play' it the way it is now,
because it's unplayable. Maybe it'll get patched/driver updated/something.

This is of course, the flip side of PC gaming. I'm sure on PS4 it'd have
just worked, after the 57GB day one patch.
HarpingOn

eep. big scary gfx card.
hurricanepilot
2014-11-25 09:13:32 UTC
Post by HarpingOn
R9 285
Good choice. Don't forget to go back and fire up every game you have
again to see how much better it looks!

Only reason I went to the GTX 780 was becuase of the stereo 75fps
requirement that the DK2 imposed for games like Elite Dangerous. I was
getting 60fps in most games with my 7950 before that and the 285 beats
that soundly.

I tend to sell my old video cards on ebay. If you kept the last one
boxed, you'd might be surprised at how big a dent it'll make in the
price of the new one. GPU's don't seem to bottom out, especially if they
aren't available at retail any more.
HarpingOn
2014-11-25 11:14:54 UTC
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
R9 285
Good choice. Don't forget to go back and fire up every game you have
again to see how much better it looks!
Only reason I went to the GTX 780 was becuase of the stereo 75fps
requirement that the DK2 imposed for games like Elite Dangerous. I was
getting 60fps in most games with my 7950 before that and the 285 beats
that soundly.
I tend to sell my old video cards on ebay. If you kept the last one
boxed, you'd might be surprised at how big a dent it'll make in the
price of the new one. GPU's don't seem to bottom out, especially if they
aren't available at retail any more.
I will.

It will probably re-kindle my interest in Crysis 2 Max, which I was
enjoying but it really was just a bit sluggish on my old card.
HarpingOn
2014-11-25 11:35:33 UTC
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
R9 285
Good choice. Don't forget to go back and fire up every game you have
again to see how much better it looks!
Only reason I went to the GTX 780 was becuase of the stereo 75fps
requirement that the DK2 imposed for games like Elite Dangerous. I was
getting 60fps in most games with my 7950 before that and the 285 beats
that soundly.
I tend to sell my old video cards on ebay. If you kept the last one
boxed, you'd might be surprised at how big a dent it'll make in the
price of the new one. GPU's don't seem to bottom out, especially if they
aren't available at retail any more.
Crysis 2! OMG!

Dragon Age: I ! OMG!

Card best! Drool.

So /that's/ what I've been missing.

It's not the worlds best card, so I have to resist putting everything to
the max, but my word. Things look great, and Crysis 2 is smooth on Very
High, wow.
hurricanepilot
2014-11-25 11:58:22 UTC
Post by HarpingOn
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
[...]
My 7950 would run Crysis 3 on some particularly good setings as well.

Probably teaching granny to suck eggs, but often the killers for
framerate are posh AA and Shadows. If you don't mind dropping those two
settings a notch, you'll find that most other stuff can be left at max.
I'm one of those people that doesn't really give a shit about AA, so I
often just disable it, or switch it to one of the cheaper options like
FXAA.
HarpingOn
2014-11-25 12:42:14 UTC
Post by hurricanepilot
Probably teaching granny to suck eggs, but often the killers for
framerate are posh AA and Shadows. If you don't mind dropping those two
settings a notch, you'll find that most other stuff can be left at max.
I'm one of those people that doesn't really give a shit about AA, so I
often just disable it, or switch it to one of the cheaper options like
FXAA.
I've been reading GAF threads and other board threads about performance,
and this is wisdom.

I think the cheap post processing AA is fine, and I will do the shadows
thing as well. I'm all squee at the moment :)
HarpingOn
2014-11-25 11:43:11 UTC
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
R9 285
Good choice. Don't forget to go back and fire up every game you have
again to see how much better it looks!
Only reason I went to the GTX 780 was becuase of the stereo 75fps
requirement that the DK2 imposed for games like Elite Dangerous. I was
getting 60fps in most games with my 7950 before that and the 285 beats
that soundly.
I tend to sell my old video cards on ebay. If you kept the last one
boxed, you'd might be surprised at how big a dent it'll make in the
price of the new one. GPU's don't seem to bottom out, especially if they
aren't available at retail any more.
And I have the Metro redux and Last Light redux to play too.

going to be having fun.
HarpingOn
2014-11-25 12:55:49 UTC
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
R9 285
Good choice. Don't forget to go back and fire up every game you have
again to see how much better it looks!
Only reason I went to the GTX 780 was becuase of the stereo 75fps
requirement that the DK2 imposed for games like Elite Dangerous. I was
getting 60fps in most games with my 7950 before that and the 285 beats
that soundly.
I tend to sell my old video cards on ebay. If you kept the last one
boxed, you'd might be surprised at how big a dent it'll make in the
price of the new one. GPU's don't seem to bottom out, especially if they
aren't available at retail any more.
If you're interested, I got the Sapphire Compact version of the 285.

To fit in my Bitfenix case. It's very small, and yet still surprisingly
heavy. Glad I went for the 600W Crucial PSU now.
hurricanepilot
2014-11-25 13:51:35 UTC
Post by HarpingOn
Post by hurricanepilot
Post by HarpingOn
R9 285
Good choice. Don't forget to go back and fire up every game you have
again to see how much better it looks!
Only reason I went to the GTX 780 was becuase of the stereo 75fps
requirement that the DK2 imposed for games like Elite Dangerous. I was
getting 60fps in most games with my 7950 before that and the 285 beats
that soundly.
I tend to sell my old video cards on ebay. If you kept the last one
boxed, you'd might be surprised at how big a dent it'll make in the
price of the new one. GPU's don't seem to bottom out, especially if they
aren't available at retail any more.
If you're interested, I got the Sapphire Compact version of the 285.
To fit in my Bitfenix case. It's very small, and yet still surprisingly
heavy. Glad I went for the 600W Crucial PSU now.
The kids PC is a Micro ATX Silverstone cube that's currently sporting an
old Radeon 3950 because of it's low power requirement (~100W).

At some point it needs a new PSU and a better graphics card. The small
form factor and relatively lower power required by the R285 definitely
make it the sensible option.